Wednesday, October 22, 2008

FAN FAVORITE RETURNS...SORT OF

Mark Parrish has been signed to a 25-game tryout contract with the Bridgeport Soundtigers. Read the blog from Greg Logan's site to get the details and a few words from "Flash" Gordon. This is a savvy move by the Islanders that fans having been calling for ever since Eklund posted the possibility of Parrish returning to the team that traded for him in what could be termed "the worst trade in history". Many Islanders fans will never forget that draft day swap which featured Roberto Luongo and Olli Jokinen going to Florida in exchange for Parrish and Oleg "I can't seem to skate or find the net" Kvasha.

Personally, Parrish is by far my favorite player from the late 90's, early 2000's and I'm really glad to have him back in the fold of Blue and Orange. Hopefully we'll see him with the Islanders soon. I'm picturing it already, Trent Hunter and Mark Parrish on a line flanking either Doug Weight or Richard Park. How's that for a crash, bang, in-your-face, energy, scoring line?

Alright so maybe I'm getting ahead of myself. But look at it this way...it's an option for down the road. Should Parrish take a spot held by one of the "kids"? No. Would he at least add some scoring (garbage goals count the same as pretty ones)? Sure. How many points is up for grabs of course, but it's a prospect I wouldn't mind seeing through. Nevertheless I'll take a more cautious albeit optimistic approach with this "temporary" signing.

Parrish was bought out by Minnesota for his final year of the contract he had with them and became a free agent several weeks before the season began.


For Questions, Comments or Bonehead Calls e-mail me at DougD84@optonline.net.

No comments: